Monday, July 30, 2007

Chapter 3

Literacy has now surpassed just reading and writing. There are many who still believe literacy is synonymous with reading and writing. No! Reading and writing is only a part of literacy. This chapter focused on the fact that many of our students are advanced beyond their teachers in computer and cell phone literacy. They could do a lesson for us in how to text message. Also, this chapter talked about writing as a social practice--not just something we do in class during the writing workshop. We write grocery lists, memos, emails, letters and the list goes on. We write all of the time. I am writing write now on this blog. I believe we marginalize writing too much in addition to other subjects. Our students need to see and practice the connections in learning. If we don't speed up our knowledge of technological literacy (not just computer literacy), the kids will be teaching us how to communicate! :)

3 comments:

Writing Unplugged said...

New Litereacies are taking over, well said! We as teachers should move with the times and instead of rejecting or fearing technology we should embrace it! Good luck taking this back to your campus.

~Sugey~

Christine said...

Just as you noted, we write grocery lists, memos, emails, letters--authentic writing is woven throughout our daily lives. It seems to me that the early childhood grades really embrace this: grocery lists and cookbooks in the kitchen center, menus and order-taking pads in the restaurant center. Why doesn't this concept continue in the upper grades? Are you seeing any great things on your campus with authentic writing?

teach to inspire said...

Actually, I learned a few things from the student's example of text messaging usage. Yes,times have changed and our experience in the BWP is giving us a glimpse to what kids are already doing. Here, I thought I was pretty cool posting to my own blog and I just read Dianna's report and sites such as My Space are blogs spots. I have seen some of those pages through my sister's page and believe me I am quite impressed and shocked how much kids can do and do post for the world to see. I am the first to say I could learn much from students regarding the tech integration they are NOW using.